Workshops

Friday, June 12, 2009

Blog Plate day

Elizabeth invited me to take part in blog Plate day today - she has some glorious plates posted on her blog. here are some of mine. When we travel I like to collect plates and sometimes jugs - maybe we can have a blog jug day?

This is one of our Denbyware plates. I started collecting these in 1968 when they first appeared. Whenever a shipment arrived in NZ I would buy a few until I finally had a full dinner set - most are still intact. We had cups and saucers and a coffee pot - all in the very fashionable brown of the day (like most things we owned then including my clothes). Bruce hated these when he was little but now he and Kaz own them. Then we saw Polanski's film Rosemary's Baby and I couldn't believe that my coveted dinner set was used in the film.




This is the plate I bought in Matakana last year when we went to NZ - Nikau Palm decoration - I have 2 of my favourite fruits sitting on top - tree tomatoes - these days called tamarillos. I indulge myself when they are in season and have 1 with my cereal in the morning.




This beautiful plat,e along with an enormous salad bowl, we bought in Tuscany a few years back - they cost as much again to have sent back to OZ but I love them both.



This is a bowl (somehow the other one has disappeared) painted by Jenny Dawson in Perth - we have a couple of her mugs as well. Bought some years back.



And this last one is my breakfast bowl which I bought in a market in Provence. I have my Ansko Muesli and yoghurt and today a tree tomato in it almost every morning.


Do go visit ELizabeth's New York blog and link to all the others taking part. Thanks for inviting me Elizabeth - it was hard to choose....

18 comments:

Ali Honey said...

I own the same Denby ware, but had dark green mugs coffee pot etc. I could never stand the nosie they made when we were cutting and eating off them.( I think I started collecting in 1966) Still have them all though - a few broke but not many.
I love your other ones shown here.

Judy said...

Dale,

I love collecting plates but mine arepottery ones bought from fellow potters when that is what I did.

Your plates are beautiful and distinctive, your cereal bowl must be a delight to handle and eat from evey day.

I will certainly slip across and look at Elizabeth's plates.

Heather said...

Your plates are beautiful - Denbyware is so distinctive and your breakfast bowl says 'summer holidays'. I love jugs too - I think it is their comforting shape. Yours is the second blog to mention plates this week - I must go and photograph some of mine.

Viv Estill said...

Love the plates Dale - I'm a great crockery fan too. I had friends in the '70's who had your Denby design as wedding presents - the set weighed a ton but lovely! My daughter also had Denby pottery for wedding presents - the tradition goes on!
Viv

Viv Estill said...

I just put some of my favourites on tyketextiles.blogspot.com - you made me come over all crockery!! Thanks.
Viv

Caroline Gill said...

Greetings from Wales, UK. I came to check out your plate post! I adore the cat. Do pop by and visit my blog.

Viv Estill said...

Lookng forward to trading Clarice ideas Dale - I've got the books too - surprise surprise!!
Viv

Elizabeth said...

You seem to be almost as much of a plate nut as me.
The first brown one was new to me and has a certain period charm.
Gosh am I having fun looking at plates today!

Sandy said...

Great plates and bowl. I the brown set too from that time and never did like them. I've never heard of tree tomatoes.

Leslie said...

These are beautiful and a fun collection!

Maggi said...

A lovely collection. Denby Pottery is just round the corner from me and very nearly went under in January. Fortunately it was saved and is celebrating its bicentenary this month.

Kat Mortensen said...

Oh, I'm getting shivers! I have a few of those Denby plates. I had no idea they were used in "Rosemary's Baby". I saw that when I was a teenager and keep meaning to pick it up on dvd. Now I absolutely MUST!

I have an entire set of Denby "Shamrock" that I picked up at a yard sale for $45. Can you believe it?

I love that cat bowl! I've got some funky mugs with cats on them, but they're not hard to come by.

Kat

Sue Krekorian said...

Love the idea of a jug day, Dale - why not just designate one and pass it on - I think someone has suggested a mug day - ?22nd June??

Tess Kincaid said...

Your plates are fabulous! I've over from Elizabeth's blog. Nice to meet you. :)

Terry said...

Beautiful plates, all, but my heart goes to the Matakana plate - what stunning colors. What fun to see everyone's plates, this was such a great idea from Elizabeth!

Barrie said...

gorgeous crockery!

Crafty Green Poet said...

these are gorgeous and unusual, what a wonderful selection!

BT said...

What lovely plates. I used to live near Denby and my parents had the 'Green Wheat' Denby collection, which I have passed onto my son as he always liked it. I used to buy pottery at auction and sell it on ebay so I've handled thousands of plates! I still love them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...