Sunday, March 26, 2006

Textiley Stuff


I am working away on my Art to Wear and my ideas are slowly falling into place. Still needlefelting on scrim (the muted back side is interesting too - quite a contrast and I may use it as well) but also twin needling a wonderful piece of hand dyed silk velvet - nothing like twin-needling a metre of fabric. As you can see I have only stitched a bit so far. I plan to cut both up and join them up with knitted and crochet bits and pieces for a fitted vest/bodice. Hence the threads lying on the surface. Might even try some hairpin lace work somewhere too. It is interesting that this is back in fashion - never did any when I was young but my mother was a whizz and everyone had hairpin lace duchess sets - all beautifully starched. A while ago I persuaded her to give me pins so I have the tools at the ready. Can't say we were crazy about the duchess sets at the time though. The other day I saw a pattern for a hairpin lace skirt...

4 comments:

Gill said...

And Sally makes a wonderful hairpin lace bracelet using wire and beads!

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Goodness me, twin needling a metre of fabric. Dale you are a patient artist! Fantastic colours you have choesn, and the mixture of textures is to dye for.
Maggie H

MargaretR said...

Dale, you do know you are getting me all worked up here? I don't have a felting machine. Yet!
Hairpin Lace? I have to conquer the tatting first.
Those are beautiful colours. Can't wait to see the finished art.

Helen from Canberra said...

Wow Dale those colours are gorgeous but what are you doing fiddling around on the internet when you should be twin needling that metre of hand dyed silk velvet. Just the words silk and velvet set me drooling.

Cheers Helen

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...