Workshops

Friday, September 01, 2006

when we were young


not that we still aren't..... this is a pic from 1972 - thought I would provide some reminiscing for anyone who does. We lived in Glenside then - just past Johnsonville out of Wellington. We bought that house for about $3500 (thanks to my dad) and I went to night school and made the sofas for the lounge. We didn't have a brass razoo to be honest and when our car broke down we stayed put until Ian fixed it.

My sister tells me that our mother lost her wedding ring and was worried that people would think she wasn't married....... I wonder if it matters today - it certainly does for her. For many years she addressed herself as Mrs H when her name is Rose not Herb and it was only after my father died that she changed to Mrs R. She always used to write to us as Mrs and Mrs I. S. until I made a fuss and it became Mr I. and Mrs D. Many years ago - about the time this photo was taken, I lost a lot of weight and my wedding ring fell off in the garden somewhere. It was a wide band 18carat gold valued at $50 in 1972 (!) and I used the insurance to pay the car rego. Much more pressing. My mother worried and worried that people would think I wasn't married (and with children too), so she gave me my grandmother's wedding ring - a lovely platinum and gold band which I still wear sometimes. It cost me about $50 to have it made to fit my finger...... But it made my mother happy. Notice I didn't offer to give it to her when she lost hers......

Helen, if I don't put labels on the threads I will get emails and phone calls from customers complaining..... but I have been knitting and embellishing if that makes you feel better.....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...