Workshops

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

welcome to march - i do believe it is autumn down under....



Welcome to March - I do believe that April is trying to push her way in but she will have to be patient.
We are still flat out here but making progress. A new shipment of Acrylic Wax finally arrived today - this is one of our most popular products and one I love to use - today I have been mixing the Magical Micas in withsome Acrylic Wax to paint with - oh so yummy. I have also been playing with new Starburst Colour Shots - they are not here yet but I have a couple - the same Starburst as the sprays but in a jar - you can add anything to the jar but I have added textile medium and painted on fabric for testing. Very effective - I have been working with colours in the Paris theme which Jacinta has been dyeing - the silk hand threads arrived today - I am gathering my resources but all I need is time to play with them. Maybe next week.

This afternoon Cloth Paper Scissors #35 arrived - they are all ready to go out tomorrow. We do have a few left over if any one wants one. Very pleased to see Leanne's work on display - you can buy the container full now, Leanne.....

I thought I would share some pics of the banksia tree in our front garden - it is just coming into flower - the birds adore it and spend ages pottering around.

A bit of a close up of one flower

One of the beautiful flowers. They develop from the bottom - you can see where it isn't quite in full bloom. Australia has very grey/green foliage but very vivid coloured flowers. Right next to the banksia tree, the bottlebrush is starting to flower as well. Good time of the year for the birds. I suppose I could say this is autumn - the temperature doesn't necessarily agree. (thanks Janelle - it is indeed a banksia and not a wattle - shows how my brain is fried)

The newsletter is nearly ready to send out and tomorrow I shall be preparing for my embellisher lesson I am teaching Thursday morning at Janome. I hear it is full - I shall have to make my kits up in the morning.

8 comments:

Heather said...

I have just unearthed my Janome embellisher during a big sort out in my workroom. I hope to do a lot more playing with it. The wattle flowers are amazing. We are still chilly here and looking forward to warmer days, but I hope yours start cooling down soon.

Unknown said...

I know it is so cold here in Adelaide, got a track suit and my ugg boots on. We didn't have much of a Summer here not our usual weeks of over 40 degrees C. Yay I love this cooler weather.

Janelle said...

Hi Dale
I think you'll find that is a lovely banksia flower rather than a wattle. It sounds like you have lots of fun playing with your supplies... sounds like heaven!

Robin Mac said...

I just love banksias - one of my favourite shrubs (trees) I think, and of course I grew up reading May Gibbs' wonderful stories. The calendar might say it is autums here, but the weather is definitely NOT agreeing - can't wait to get to Canberra next week for a few days of less humidity. Cheers

Dorothy said...

I am green with envy when I see a beautiful banksia, evey banksia I planted died-- must be the soil, so I must be content with admiring them in other's gardens.
I wish we could have a little autumnal weather,if sweating to the point of dripping wet is a slimming method I should be much lighter!!

Unknown said...

Nooooo not Autumn... surely not already!! Looking outside it is impossible to believe.... although it was the first day for a few weeks that the temperature has been below 25deg at 7am!! Having just arrived from Britain I am looking forward to a year round Summer! ;)
Loving your pictures! I love watching the birds too - especially the honeyeaters.

Stitchety Grub said...

Haven't heard the word "Pottering" for ages - hehe - hope the class goes well :-)

Judy said...

Hi! Dale,

The Banksia are certainly beautiful, I must get around to putting some in our garden, we have a cool mountain climate as we live back from the coast, Perth's climate is so much more suitalbe for them. I love the subtle pale orange yellow of the one you have shown. So looking forward to Cloth Paper Scissors.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...