Workshops

Monday, November 17, 2014

Permission to play



The other day Lesley Riley wrote a blog post on using TAP (Transfer Artist Paper), stencils and sprays. http://lesleyriley.com/stencil-girl-me-stencils-tap/ 

Because as you will know I love my Moonglow sprays and had never thought to use them with TAP,  I couldn't wait to have a go. Permission to play means permission to make mistakes - that is how we learn.
Lesley wrote that the polymer on the TAP paper encapsulates the water-soluble spray inks and makes them permanent and waterproof. 

So I used a stencil and my Starburst Sprays and followed it by printing through the inkjet printer. Worked a treat. I chose some West Coast South Island words and Reefton of course as that is Ian's home town. I didn't photograph it before I transferred the TAP but in my eagerness to do so, I turned on the iron  and looked around for some Tissutex Plus becasue it is nice and strong and would work well in my journal. I found one which had already had words transferred - no idea how - could have been a gel medium or even a laser transfer or a fusible webbing one, but the point was it didn't work and hours later after picking and scraping I gave up. You can see above the stage where I stopped.



 But I did simply tear out what had worked and transfer it to my Khadi journal where I had previously stenciled other images. So not a total disaster and if you look you can see the layer of words underneath - it was writing all about the West Coast.


This is the stencil I used and I also used it on a page as well not that you could really see.


So - I sprayed and stencilled and printed another and managed to successfully transfer it this time and then I used a gel medium to add it to my journal. Sometimes I use fusible webbing but best to try all sorts of things.


Then I decided to change to my Kimberley Dreaming theme and did another - at the top not so clear I printed one of my thermofax screen designs - frangipani flowers so it is a very fine outline but will work. Remember of course to reverse your words - I do get that part correct these days. I like this stencil because it has an ancient rock look to it - sometimes.

Here is the pale frangipani
and the Broome words before I  ironed onto Tissutex. I painted webbing this time and ironed it to Lutradur XL so I could make a postcard and if I look very carefully I can see the crinkly painted webbing underneath. I have learnt that one must not iron the painted webbing to the Tissutex and expect the TAP to transfer onto it - no.


Can you see that it ended up lighter after it was ironed onto the Tissutex - something to explore I think. However going back to the actual piece it is the same as the darker one so it must be my photo at that time.You can't see it but I stitched on it and zigzagged the edges so I have a new page to add to one of my books. Maybe you can see it.


This is the colour left on the backing paper after I had ironed on the webbing - highly suitable for using somewhere. I didn't do this but often do - instead of just ironing the webbing face down, I usually lift it and layer it becasue the colour is stronger on the top rather than on the underneath. Always worth a try anyway.


Great idea and if you don't play you will never discover what you do wrong and make it right - or right for you. Right now though I cannot print anything because my inkjet printer has died so I shall move onto something else in the meantime.


1 comment:

Heather said...

I've never tried this product but you are so right about allowing ourselves to play. I am trying to pluck up the courage to print onto fabric, but my printer is rather temperamental.
It is so generous of you to share your experiments and allow us to avoid the trouble spots.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...