Workshops

Monday, January 16, 2017

self portrait - ooh.....



I spent the last three days down in the Porongerups taking a workshop with Lou Gardiner http://www.lougardiner.co.uk/index.html  - well I missed the last afternoon because I had to drive back to Perth. It was a fabulous workshop - for a number of reasons. I avoid anything to do with portraits and faces - I do try to draw most days but not people. BUT - Lou is a contemporary embroidery - independent - working very hard and creating wonderful work. I am full of admiration for her. There are so many "artists" our there playing at the creative scene - so much rubbish and pretension and everyone pandering to them. When you meet a genuine artist you know the feeling. She creates intricate, embellished, one-off designs that incorporate layers of intricate, free-hand machine stitched embroidery, paint, ink and applique.

The Porongerups are about 4 and half hours south of Perth so with Leonard Cohen and Monteverdi at full strength, I whizzed both down and back. I had to drive 5 k from where we were staying at the Porongerup Inn (hostel/store etc) to get the internet where I could look at this view. One becomes rather reliant on the internet......

The workshop was organised by Chez Armstrong who runs the Great Southern Workshops and if you click on it you can see what has been and what is coming up. I am hoping to teach there myself later on this year.

This was one of Lou's pieces - probably from a previous class. We had exercises to do and it was serious and a lot of fun - scarey at first - I am not going to tell you what we did because if you ever get a chance - do a workshop with her. She is teaching now in Margaret River and then in Bendigo (I think) but she may return to Australia.

I loved everyone else s work - everything so so varied and everyone produced a fabulous portrait - not self - that was me - I drew someone else or two and then decided to do myself. I can never get my hair to stand up so why not now? I will come back to it when I return from Adelaide and maybe try another - it was fun and uninhibiting once you got going. I am sure the ones I will show you here  - the owners won't mind. (or send me a stern email and I will remove)

This is Gai's in progress


and Maree's - note the sherry - that was a part of the fun

and this is Liz's - she is adding her hubby as well


and I am not sure who owns this one but hats were part of the action as well - yes - even I had a hat on at one stage.

They are all brilliant and I would love to see them all when finished.

Lou also gave a wonderful inspiring talk about her life and her work and I indulged myself by buying this gorgeous silk scarf - titled Because I Love You. I shall wear it with superb pleasure. Do check out her website and remember - be creative and enjoy every moment.

5 comments:

Penny said...

I have followed her for ages, love what she does.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know of Lou until I read this post Dale. And all I can say now is "WOW". What great pieces of art, how fantastic they look. I'm checking out her website. A class with her is on my bucket list. And I love your hair sticking up, I love your lack of fear in your work. And surely that's you in the background of Gai's piece.

Heather said...

That is a beautiful scarf and the portraits are amazing. There is something so individual about them even though the style is similar.

Gina said...

What a fabulous workshop with an amazing lady. Love all the portraits.

liniecat said...

Simply wonderful fun portraits!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...